FEATURE STORY 01: 35years after, Chinelo Hannatu Oludayo, Dedicated as a Child by Bishop Oyedepo Shares her Amazing Wazobia Story

Top: Chinelo and her family (The Oludayos). Bottom left: Bishop David Oyedepo. Bottom right: Rev. Dr. Samuel Kujiyat 

It was a special moment for us three weeks ago at The Paul Anunaso Blog when we made a heartwarming discovery: Pictures of Mrs. Chinelo Hannatu Olukoya, who as a child was dedicated in church 35 years ago by Bishop David Oyedepo of Winner's Chapel in Kaduna state surfaced online. It is not everyday that we get to see such rare memories.

Born to an Igbo father and a Southern Kaduna mother, Chinelo's parents were both Christians living in Kaduna state at that time. She is now married to a Yoruba man, making her the textbook example of a 'Wazobia' Nigerian, since she has family roots in all the three major tribes of Nigeria. So unique and amazing, right?

The Paul Anunaso Blog was able to contact Chinelo directly, and she gracefully shared her story with us.

In the pictures, we see Bishop Oyedepo carrying Chinelo in his arms, while another man holds the microphone to the Bishop's mouth.


According to Chinelo, "that man was Rev. Dr. Samuel Kujiyat, the General Overseer of the Rhema Living Word Global Ministries. The church, at the time, was located at Barnawa, Kaduna state, which was also the same part of town where Living Faith started".

Speaking of Rhema Living Word, Chinelo says, "it is still a small church, and few people know Dr. Kujiyat, but he has pastored several men who have gone on to start big ministries. Family Worship Center, Abuja, which was founded by the late Pastor Ina Omakwu being one of them".

According to Rev. Kujiyat's autobiography, he was asked to take over the leadership of the Christian group Good News Evangelistic Association in 1983, from which Rhema Living Word was later born in 1984. Pastor Omakwu had been the president of Good News before this time, but was leaving Nigeria for the United States to obtain his Masters degree.


After a 3-year battle with brain cancer, Pastor Ina died on February 25, 2003. Family Worship Center, Abuja is now led by Pastor Sarah Omakwu (the wife of Late Pastor Ina), and has upto 10,000 people in attendance on a Sunday Service.

In 2016, she openly warned attendees at the church not to bring or give tithes or offerings from any money they knew was stolen. Dr. Kujiyat is a board member of the Ina Omakwu Foundation, IOF till date.

Back to Chinelo's story. Her dad was Igbo from an Anglican background, while her mum was Fadan-Kagoma (Southern Kaduna) from the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA).


According to her, "My mom became born again as a teenager in secondary school, while my dad had the NIFES experience".

"He fell in love with my mom, would follow her to her ECWA church, where they attended the youth fellowship, and later followed Pastor Kujiyat to start his own ministry".

Providing some insight into the famous Christian revival that took place in Nigeria during the 1980s, she says, "Pastor Kujiyat was a youth leader with ECWA in the North, and during a youth meeting, with my mom present, the power of the Holyghost came upon them, and they instantly started speaking in tongues. Late Pastor Ina Omakwu of Family Worship Center, Wuye, Abuja was also present in that meeting."

"Several notable men of God who pioneered Pentecostalism, especially in the North, were in that meeting too, but again, I was very little at that time."

"After they started speaking in tongues, the older people of the church found it strange, and Pastor Kujiyat and other youths who received the gift of tongues were chased out, and that was how Rhema Living Word Church was born, by youths who got born-again and wanted to spread the gospel, especially to the Hausa-Fulani in the North."

1985: Dr. David Oyedepo set to dedicate Baby Chinelo (carried by her mother, Hajara Mbonu) as her father, Emmanuel Mbonu looks on. 

Pastor Sarah Omakwu's Send forth and Chinelo's Church Dedication
Both Living Faith Church and Rhema Living Word were still new ministries at this time (in 1985), and Bishop Oyedepo shared a good friendship with Rev. Kujiyat. Today, Living Faith Church is one of the largest Christian congregations in Nigeria. Under Dr. Oyedepo's leadership, the church continues to be a pacesetter in the establishment and running of highly successful educational institutions in Nigeria, namely Covenant University, Landmark University, among other schools.

Just recently, Covenant University was the only Nigerian university to make the list of the world's 100 best universities in emerging economies by Times Higher Education.

Back to the story again. Chinelo says, "Pastor Ina was already in the US for his studies, but had been bethroted to Sarah Omakwu (maiden name, Sarah Jagaba) before leaving the country. She was to go and join her husband-to-be (Inalegwu Omakwu) in the United States, and was to be prayed for in church by Daddy Oyedepo. Happened to be my dedication service too, so that was how I was blessed and fortunate to be dedicated to God by Daddy Oyedepo."

Chinelo's mum, Hajara Mbonu, poses with the family 

Chinelo's mum, Mrs. Hajara Mbonu, remembers the day with excitement also. "It was about 34 years ago", she says. "I remember being so happy and excited along with my husband of blessed memory,  as we danced to the alter to dedicate her."
Chinelo lost her dad, Late Mr. Emmanuel Nkemakonam Mbonu in 1996. He hailed from Anambra state.

Today, 35 years after her dedication in church as a new born baby, Chinelo is now a grown woman, and is blessed with a family of her own. Her beloved husband, Mr. Olusayo Martins Oludayo hails from the pacesetter state, Oyo. Married in 2016, together, they are now blessed with two lovely Wazobia kids. Her son, Olubayo Nkemakonam Oludayo, is 3 years old, while her daughter, Oluwafunmilayo Chinelo Oludayo is 1.

2016: Rev. Dr. Samuel Kujiyat at Chinelo and Olusayo's wedding

Nigeria's strongest asset is indeed unity in diversity. Chinelo and her family are a great and beautiful example in this regard. With relatives cutting across all the three (3) major tribes, she is well positioned to imbue in her kids the right set of values and worldview that will make them a great example of the true Nigerian spirit.

The Paul Anunaso Blog team interviewed her, and we're happy to share excerpts from the interview below.

As a person, you have strong cultural ties to all of Nigeria's three (3) main tribes. How do you feel being a Wazobia lady? What is it like for you, and how many languages can you speak?
I love being a Wazobia lady. I pray that people begin to look beyond tribe and class, among other irrelevant things, and let themselves love who they love. Nigeria needs more 'children' like me so we can truly be integrated by blood, since the 3 'R's on which the NYSC scheme and Unity Schools were initiated have not been very successful.
 I feel connected by blood to every Nigerian any where I find myself. I get offended and feel insulted when the Hausa man is referred to in a derogatory way as 'aboki'. When the Igbo man is called a '419ner', it pains my heart. And when the Yorubas are insulted, I feel like I have a share in that too. Funny enough, I speak only Hausa well, because my mom raised me. I understand Igbo a little, but I dont speak it (very embarrassed by that).

Chinelo and Olusayo being prayed for during the dedication of their first child

As a Christian, can you share with us how your personal relationship with God has been, and what your personal aspirations in that regard are?
My personal relationship with God has been progressive. Everyday, I get to know Him a little bit more. I'm glad I am a Christian. Like you said, its a relationship and it takes two for a relationship to work out. I must say that as a child, I took that relationship for granted. But as a woman and a mother, I see things differently. I am grateful for grace.

What was life like for you as a teenager and a younger adult? What did you study at the University, and what led you to study it?
I was a boring teenager. As an only child, I didnt talk much, and kept to myself alot. However, I had a way with words and fell in love with the idea of studying law at the university. I had a good JAMB score, but that was when I discovered something about my name. In Nigeria, you have to belong somewhere and it looked to 'them' like I didnt belong anywhere. I wanted to go to ABU Zaria, but was denied admission because....I am not Hausa and certain courses are denied non-indigenes, except if you have an extraordinarily high score. I eventually studied English language at the University of Jos after scoring even higher in JAMB. People who scored far less than me in JAMB, (both times I sat for JAMB), gained admission to study Law.

Do you have a side-business today? Please tell us about it.
Yes I do. Its called Organic Treats. We sell freshly made and bottled fruit juice and salads. We had a juice bar but had to close it down.

Chinelo and Olusayo are in love

How did you meet your husband? Was it love at first sight? Please share your love story with us.
My cousin who worked with him at the time set the whole thing up. She wanted us to meet, so she made both of us a part of her bridal train.... he was among the grooms men. For me, it was attraction at first sight because 🙈😀 he is very goodlooking. However, later on when I got to know him better, I discovered that he is kind, funny and born again of course.

Chinelo with the love of her life, Olusayo

This sounds so awesome. Please tell us some more about your love story. 
I was working with FCMB at the time as a marketer. They called us BBG DSAs (Business Banking Group Direct Sales Agents). My friend's wedding had come and passed. We had met and there was nothing much except for the attraction. As a smart girl, I knew attraction and looks were not enough, so we didn't even exchange numbers. I even subtly avoided him throughout. It was my cousin who still went ahead to give him my number.
So, one thing led to another, and he called me. Then, we became Facebook friends, etc.
So there was this incident: I had just bought an iPhone 5 with my small marketer's salary, and then I had to go see a potential client to discuss opening an account. And I somehow dropped my phone in the front seat of the taxi where I had sat, without knowing. Long story short, I kept calling that number to no avail, and he had called me on my other line. He asked me why he could not reach me on my airtel line, and I told him how I had misplaced my iPhone.
The couple rejoices at their wedding

I dont know how he did it regardless of the distance at the time between us but he kept calling the number long after I had given up. He called me again later that evening and said I should go to a certain location where I would meet with a certain man and pick up my phone. Turns out the driver had kept the phone but did not know how to answer my calls because he didnt understand the phone. I knew then, that he was a problem solver. And that was one of the moments for me that I knew I loved him.
Then, he makes me laugh like crazy. We will be 4 years in April and I still find his jokes funny. I believe even when we are old and grey, he will still be the one who makes me laugh.

Recently, we have heard how some wives/husbands murdered their spouses because of infidelity and feminism. What are your views about marital challenges and how to deal with them?
Challenges will come, and they will go. People need to be mentally ready for marriage. Abuse of any kind should not be endured, but there are more sane ways to settle our differences in marriage.

Chinelo plays with her son, Oludayo 

How do you cope with being a daughter, wife, mother, and career woman?
Cope? Its like asking someone how they cope with being alive. I just live my life each day welcoming my blessings and enjoying them. The blessing of being a daughter to a loving mother like mine, the blessing of being a wife to an amazing man, and the blessing and gift of motherhood. I am grateful for my career, and its not healthy to be just stagnant so I try to grow in knowledge and execution of my job because I have young ones watching. These blessings come with responsibilities that I take each day as they come.

As a public administrator, what are your views about public administration in Nigeria? And what are your long term goals in that profession?
My answer to this question is a story for another day. I believe all Christians have been called to service. You do not have to be on the missionary fields or on the pulpit in order to serve. Let Christian civil servants begin to serve God from the offices they occupy. We should be the light we have been called to be.


Chukwubuikem Paul Anunaso is the editor of The Paul Anunaso Blog. He writes from Lagos, and can be reached at anunaso.cp@gmail.com. 

Comments

  1. Such an amazing story. She's a smart lady. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to read this lovely story as someone who grew up with Chinelo in Rhema Living Work Church. Our God is faithful! God bless this family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lloyd chimezuru Odazie; amazing and interesting article that shows that godliness pays. Thank you I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment