Road to 'Miss Universe' title as first transgender woman wins 'Miss Nevada 2021'


A transgender woman of color, Kataluna Enriquez, has just won the Miss Nevada 2021 title, making history as the first trans-woman, and that of color, to hold the title.

“I didn’t have the easiest journey in life. I struggled with physical and sexual abuse. I struggled with mental health. I didn’t have much growing up. I didn’t have support. But I’m still able to thrive, and I’m still able to survive and become a trailblazer for many", she said to KVVU-TV

Before now, Enriquez previously competed in trans-specific pageants. But in March 2021, she became the first trans-woman to win the Miss Silver State USA title.


“Today I am a proud transgender woman of color. Personally, I’ve learned that my differences do not make me less than, it makes me more than. I know that my uniqueness will take me to all my destinations, and whatever I need to go through in life", she told the Las Vegas Review-Journal last March. 

With her latest win as Miss Nevada, she is set to represent the State of Nevada at the 2021 Miss USA pageant, which will be held November 29 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Nevada is the home state of current US President, Joe Biden.

If she is crowned Miss USA, she will become the second transgender woman to compete in the Miss Universe beauty pageant, where she will represent the USA. The Miss Universe Pageant systems began allowing transgender entrants in 2012.


Source: NBC News

Comments